Sunday, January 13, 2008

Quick Hop to Roosevelt Island

I was walking around the city when I saw an interesting building on 60th and 2nd.

There was some sort of car hanging on a wire and thought that it was some aerial sightseeing tour of the city. Not wanting to miss any touristy opportunities, I dashed up the stairs, but noticed that there were the standard subway turnstiles at the gate. My initial enthusiasm quickly subsided as I realized that this was not some sightseeing tour, but just an aerial tram to-and-from Roosevelt Island. The ride was only $2, so I thought I'd go anyway just to see the island.


The Queensboro bridge from above



A view down 2nd (?) Avenue



The Queensboro Bridge as we passed

There wasn't really that much on the island. There was this factory, some abandoned warehouse, and a bunch of plain-looking apartment blocks.

The best thing going for it was the view of Manhattan. Actually, as I was taking pictures, some random woman came up behind me and started laughing at me - no joke. I suppose she found it funny that someone could find anything worthy of taking pictures of on her island.



The UN building as seen from Roosevelt Island.

2 comments:

RI 360 said...

The factory was actualy the ravenswood Keyspan Generating plant which generates at least 1/3 of NYC's energy needs. I am guessing the abandoned factory was probably the steam generating plant located just behind the tram station.

For more hsitory of the island which at one time housed the pedecessor to Rikers Island, a smallpox hospital and the first pathological lab in the US (strecker labs) go to www.rihs.us or take a virtual tour at www.riwalk.com

http://rooseveltisland360.blogspot.com/

Stephen said...

Nice pictures, Bobby. Thanks ri 360 for the information, also.

bobbypd. Get yours at bighugelabs.com/flickr